architect, building contractor.
Born in Nowy Targ, completed his secondary education in w Kraków, studied in Petersburg. In 1898 he was invited to Warsaw by Mr. Dziekoński, Professor at the Warsaw University of Technology, and became his student. According to Maria Zakrzewska’s article published in the “Stolica” weekly, tenement houses designed by Ludwik Panczakiewicz were generally characterized by a highly symmetrical body decorated with Art Noveau elements and ornaments.
He was inspired by historicism and his later buildings show modernist elements. Sculptural ornaments, frequently used by the architect, were created by Franciszek Roth. Ludwik Panczakiewicz’s first projects in collaboration with Józef Pius Dziekoński involved the buildings of Warsaw churches: the Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel and St. Florian the Martyr in the Praga district, the Church of the Holiest Saviour (in collaboration with W. Żychiewicz) and the Church of Saint Stanisław (1899). He is the designer of the project of the Dolgorukov palace in 6 Litewska Street in Warsaw, tenement houses at the corner of Poznańska and Aleje Jerozolimskie Street (1904), in 11 Lwowska Street and in 2 and 6 Marszałkowska Street (around 1910) in Warsaw, and his own house located in the capital as well (1912).He designed the project of one of the most beautiful tenement houses in the city of Łódź, located in 3 Andrzeja Struga Street (1911). Close to the right edge of the façade, above the first floor windows there is a board with the author’s signature: PROIECTUM FECIT L. PANCZAKIEWICZ ARCHITECKUS VARSOVIAE. This way of providing information about the author of the project was truly exceptional in Łódź at the time.
Born in Warsaw. Studied in France. After completing his studies he returned to Poland and went on to become a lecturer in mechanics at the Warsaw University of Technology. He was one of the most renowned Polish bodywork constructors. In the period 1921–1923 he designed the body for the first Polish passenger car, CWS T1 (Central Car Works), which was in production from 1927 until 1931. He worked for the National Engineering Works (PZInż) during the period of 1934-1939, designing the body for the Fiat 621 (tourist version) and the Saurer bus. All CWS vehicles were produced in small numbers, in a hardtop, open-top and cabriolet body version, all designed by the eng. Stanisław Panczakiewicz (later Professor at the Warsaw University of Technology).
Among his other projects we find the body of the luxurious Polish vehicle Lux–Sport (L–S), the body of the Polish bus Zawrat and the cabine of the truck PZInż. 713. It has to be mentioned that he is also the author of the bodywork of the Syrena passenger car. The sidecar for the motorcycle Sokół 1000 M111 (CWS M111) is the result of Panczakiewicz’s work on single-track vehicles. After WW II eng. Panczakiewicz, in collaboration with other prominent Polish constructors (among others Jerzy Werner and Mieczysław Dębicki), built the prototype of the first Polish truck – Star 20. Vehicles based on this project, including Star 50, 51 and 52, were later designed in the Łódź branch of the Centralne Biuro Technicznego Przemysłu Motoryzacyjnego (central office of technical automotive industry). The team led by the eng. Panczakiewicz designed a body capable of holding 30 passengers. The third bodywork version of the long-distance Fiat 666RN designed in 1948 was one of his most remarkable works. The production of the long-distance Fiat 666RN started in 1950. It was a spacious vehicle with room for 44 passengers. Apart from creating the body for the Fiat RN666, Panczakiewicz also designed the body for another Polish bus from that period – the Leyland LOPS 3/1.